The Constrictor is located in the Sea of Isolation, Islands of Devastation, or in the Ruins of Despair. He is one of four of the Guardians of The Elder. This Elder Guardian replaces the map boss.
The Constrictor is both a ranged and melee attacker. He deals Physical Damage and always Poisons. The player is constantly tangled by Grasping Vines throughout the fight. These vines slow the player can be stacked up to a total of 10. Move to break the strangle of the vines.
Each one of the arenas has its own area effects. The Island of Devastation contains small green pods that explode on contact dealing Poison Damage and small white flowers that shatter dealing Cold Damage. In The Ruins of Despair, small frogs will spawn chasing down the player, and exploding on contact. The Sea of Isolation contains Frostbolts that spawn and target the player throughout the entire boss fight. These projectiles deal Cold Damage Over Time.
Elder Guardian fight phases depend on what tier map they’re spawned in. When an Elder Guardian is spawn in a white map, there will be only 1 phase. If the Elder Guardian is spawn in a yellow map, there will be 2 phases. The second phase begins when the guardian is at 50% Maximum Life. When the Elder Guardian is spawned on a red map, there will be a total of 3 phases. The last 2 phases will occur when the guardian is at 66% and 33% Maximum Life.
Tips and Tricks
This is a compiled list of some precautions one should consider before facing this challenge.
Physical Damage Mitigation:
- Taste of Hate Sapphire Flask – Converts Physical Damage taken to Cold Damage Taken and Increases Maximum Cold Resistance during flask effect.
- Basalt Flask – Grants 15% Physical Damage Reduction during flask effect.
- Granite Flask – Grants +3000 Armour during Flask Effect.
- Arctic Armour – Grants 8-13% less Physical Damage when hit and 8%-12% less Fire Damage taken when hit.
- Determination – Grants 32%-51% more armour.
- Endurance Charges – Grants 4% Physical Damage reduction per Endurance Charge.
- Fortify – Grants 20% reduced damage taken from ALL damage types.
- Quicksilver Flask – Increases movement speed during flask effects. Aids in dodging attacks.
- Movement Skill – Allows player to quickly dodge attacks.
- Stibnite Flask – Creates a smoke cloud, inflicting blind during flask effect. This makes it easier to avoid damage since monsters can not target the player directly if blinded.
- Decoy Totem – Taunts enemies causing them to target the totem instead of the player.
General Rule of Thumb:
- Kaom’s Roots – DOES NOT Prevent grasping vines effect
Here are all of the modifiers that affect this boss.
- Cannot be fully slowed
- Poison on hit
- 200% increased poison duration
- 80% reduced Curse Effectiveness
- 40% Fire, Cold, and Lightning Resistance
- 25% Chaos Resistance
These are all of the attacks that this boss uses. With the use of these gifs, you are able to see the animation of each attack to better familiarize yourself with the boss mechanics.
The Constrictor swings his sword, striking the player. This attack deals Physical Damage.
The Constrictor charges the player dealing area damage with his swords. This attack deals Physical Damage.
The Constrictor combines his swords and dashes sideways while firing 4 projectiles at the player. These projectiles deal Physical Damage.
The Constrictor stops, charges his bow, and fires a large, green projectile. This projectile deals heavy Physical Damage.
The Constrictor fires 4 volleys of multiple projectiles at the player. These projectiles have different flight patterns and can cross paths with one another. These projectiles deal Physical Damage and can stack poison very quickly.
The Constrictor slashes the area in front of him and jumps backwards slowly into the air while firing many projectiles that explode on impact at the player. The initial attack maims on hit, reduces the players movement speed by 30%. These attacks both deal Physical Damage.
The Constrictor leaps into the air and fires a large exploding projectile at the ground. This explosion then expands outs like “sunder in a nova.”
The Constrictor spawns four mirror versions of himself to aid during his fight. These minions last for a total of 10 seconds.
Here are all the possible items that can drop from this boss fight.