The Cortex Fight is the final and fifth boss encounter of the Memory Map. This encounter is spawned randomly on the Memory Map.
The Cortex Arena will appear on the Memory Map Randomly(possibly only after you have killed the other 4 bosses). Once it appears, the player will need to use their Memory Fragments to create a path to the boss area.
Once the player has reach this Boss Node, they will enter a small area containing the Decaying Map Device. This map device needs to be interacted with before it will open 6 portals into the Fractured Laboratory. Next, the player will fight their through a map like area, before finding the portal leading into the Boss Arena. Once, inside this arena, the player will see Venarius’ spirit hovering around the central map device. Once he is approached, he will start a short dialog and then the map device will disappear and the first boss will be spawned. This fight has a total of 5 phases with 4 different boss encounters.
The Fractal Gargantuan is first spawned. It is very similar to the Augmented Synthete but much quicker. Once he is slain the next boss will spawn.
The Synthete Masterpiece is summoned next. He is similar to the Altered/Twisted Synthete Bosses. Once slain, the next phase will begin.
The Decaying Map Device will appear in the center of the arena and open 4 portals. These portals spawn minions and last for about 30 seconds until transitioning to the next phase.
The Fractal Titan is summon during this phase. He is very similar to the first phase boss, The Fractal Gargantuan. Once slain, the next boss will spawn.
The last boss to spawn is The Synthete Nightmare. He is Similar to The Synthete Masterpiece. Once slain, the Decaying Map Device will appear again and explode, dropping loot.
These are all of the attacks that this boss uses. With the use of these gifs, you are able to see the animation of each attack to better familiarize yourself with the boss mechanics.
The Fractal Gargantuan
The Fractal Gargantuan charges up his hands and slashes the area in front of him with each hand. This attack deals 50% of Physical Damage Converted to Lightning Damage.
The Fractal Guardian plants both arms in the ground and fires a large laser from his chest dealing Physical Damage and Lightning Damage.
The Fractal Guardian charges up, springs into the air, and slams the ground dealing Physical Damage.
The Fractal Guardian raises his arms, slams the ground in front of him, and releases a series of small turrets on the ground. This attack and turrets deal Physical Damage.
The Fractal Guardian fires out a few projectiles that decelerate and hold in place. He then fires a laser beam in which he swipes across the projectiles causing them to explode. This attack deals Physical Damage and Lightning Damage.
The Fractal Guardian spins in a circle and fires several projectiles from both arms. These projectiles decelerate and hold in place. He then fires a laser beam in which he swipes across the projectiles causing them to explode dealing Physical Damage and Lightning Damage.
The Fractal Guardian fires out a single projectile and then shoots it with a laser beam causing the projectile to explode dealing Physical Damage and Lightning Damage.
The Fractal Titan
The Fractal Titan has the same attacks as The Fractal Guardian with the combination of the following 2 attacks.
The Fractal Titan summons several Energy Pylons that travel to him powering him up. After a short time, The Titan will explode, letting out a huge wave of damage.
The Rewritten Synthete summons Stationary Pylons on the ground that deal Lightning Damage.
The Synthete Masterpiece
The Synthete Masterpiece charges an electric field around his head and fires a large barrage of lasers from his wings dealing Lightning Damage.
The Synthete Masterpiece fires 3 celestrial projectiles at the player that move slowly.
The Synthete Masterpiece summons several vortex projectiles that swirl around him. He then slams the ground in front of him with a large area of effect.
The Synthete Masterpiece fires out 4 mortars in an X pattern that will spin around his body after a short period of time dealing Physical Damage and Lightning Damage.
The Synthete Masterpiece Charges up a large area on the ground that explodes into a large bubble after a short period of time.
The Synthete Masterpiece fires several lasers at the same point and creates a large blast bubble.
The Synthete Masterpiece fires a short barrage in a small arc.
The Synthete Masterpiece levitates into the air and fires many lasers into the ground, which spin around in a shrinking circle. Once the lasers reach directly below him, he will set off a very large explosion bubble.
The Synthete Nightmare
The Synthete Nightmare has the same attacks as the Synthete Masterpiece with the following additional attacks
The Synthete Nightmare teleports around the arena, firing projectiles at the player.
The Synthete Masterpiece summons several blackhole projectiles around the arena that all target the same location and each explode.
Tips and Tricks
This is a compiled list of some precautions one should consider before facing this challenge.
Recommended Pantheon Point Allocation:
- Soul of Solaris –
- 6% Physical Damage Reduction if there is one nearby enemy, 20% chance to take
- 50% less area damage from hits and 6% reduced Physical Damage taken if there is only 1 nearby enemy
- 8% reduced Elemental Damage taken if you have not been hit recently
- Take no Extra Damage from Critical Strikes if you have taken a Critical Strike Recently
- 50% chance to avoid Ailments form Critical Strikes
- Soul of Arakaali –
- 5% reduced Damage taken from Damage Over Time
- 10% chance to Avoid Lightning Damage when Hit
- 50% increased recover of Life and Energy Shield if you have stopped taking Damage recently
- 30% Reduced Effect of Shock and Shock Duration on you
- 25% Chaos Resistance against Damage Over Time
- Soul of Lunaris –
- 1% Additional Physical Damage Reduction for each nearby Enemy, up to 8%
- 1% increased Movement Speed for each nearby Enemy, up to 8%
- 10% chance to Avoid Projectile Damage
- 5% chance to Dodge Attacks and Spells if you’ve been hit recently
- Avoid Projectiles that have Chained
- Soul of Gruthkul –
- 1% additional Physical Damage Reduction for each hit you have taken up to a maximum of 5%
- Enemies that have hit you with an attack Recently have 8% reduced Attack Speed
- Soul of Ryslatha
- Life Flasks gain 3 charges every 3 seconds if you have not used a Life Flask Recently
- 60% increased Life Recovery from Flasks used when on Low Life
Lightning Damage Mitigation:
- Purity of Lightning – Grants an additional 4% Maximum Lightning Resistance.
- Topaz Flask – Increases Maximum Lightning Resistance by 6% during flask effect.
- “of Grounding” – Flask mod that removes Shocks and grants Shock immunity during flask effect.
- Fortify – Grants 20% reduced damage taken from ALL damage types.
- Quicksilver Flask – Increases movement speed during flask effects. Aids in dodging attacks.
- Movement Skill – Allows player to quickly dodge attacks.
- Stibnite Flask – Creates a smoke cloud, inflicting blind during flask effect. This makes it easier
to avoid damage since monsters can not target the player directly if blinded.
- Decoy Totem – Taunts enemies causing them to target the totem instead of the player.
- Vaal Grace – Grants 24% to 34% Chance to Dodge Attacks and Spells
- Quartz Flask – Grants 10% chance to Dodge Attacks and Spells and Phasing during Flask Effect.
- Frost Wall -Creates a wall of ice that is very useful in protecting yourself from damage.
Here are all of the modifiers that affect all of the bosses.
- Cannot be fully Slowed, Stunned, or Knocked Back
- 66% reduced curse effectiveness
- 10% Fire, Cold, Lightning, and 5% Chaos Resistance(Part 1)
- 20% Fire, Cold, Lightning, and 10% Chaos Resistance(Part 2)
- 40% Fire, Cold, Lightning, and 25% Chaos Resistance(Maps)
Here are all the possible items that can drop from this boss fight.
Chance to drop:
- Bottled Faith Sulphur Flask
- Garb of the Ephmeral Savant’s Robe
- Nebulis Void Sceptre
- Offering to the Serpent Legion Gloves
See a mistake or want to add something? Leave a comment!
Help us make this the best possible guide for new players.
Enjoying the content? You can show us your support HERE!